Declaring Medical Conditions

For those who wish to holiday and travel but have an existing health problem it is always a good idea to look out for a specialist firm that can help you find travel insurance with medical conditions.

Heart disease, cancer or even multiple sclerosis are all serious health challenges but you should not worry that these problems will hinder your search for a policy that will cover your existing condition.  Even those who have been diagnosed as having a terminal condition can find travel insurance.

The major UK health charities agree that having a prohibitive health condition can actually act as a motivator to make the most of your time and, recommend an adventure or holiday.  There are a few basic steps that you can take in order to ensure that your holiday runs as smoothly as possible but the most important point is to make sure that you give your insurance company all possible information about your condition.  You must let them know about all the medications that you take, and also, where possible tell the company about any potential problems that your condition may develop.  If you expect the unexpected then you can rest assured that even in the most debilitating of circumstances you will be cared for and will be safe.

If you suffer from Angina, as well as filling in the on screen insurer’s medical report, try and visit your local GP in order that you can be guaranteed that your doctor is happy that you are well enough to go on holiday.

Insurance companies can also cover cancer sufferers but if your disease has developed secondaries or you are taking morphine you are probably too ill to travel and will not be able to get health cover.

Other illnesses and conditions that should be declared when travelling include, asthma, diabetes HIV, Hepatitis C, Crohn’s Disease, pregnancy and epilepsy.  Just because you have one of these conditions it doesn’t mean that you can’t travel you just have to let your insurer be aware of the fact so that you can receive the best possible treatment should you need any type of medical help when on holiday.  Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) can be affected by flying, again talk to your insurance company and your GP about this situation.

The UK Foreign Office recommends that anyone going abroad and importing prescription medication to their holiday destination should take a doctor’s letter and also a list of the drugs that you are prescribed.  Some medicines come under the Home Office ‘Controlled Drugs list’ and need a licence.  If you use a diabetic pen or syringe make sure that you have a doctor’s letter that will enlighten officials and stop any possible misunderstandings.  Also carry this kit in your hand luggage.

As long as you plan your trip and work in advance with both your GP and your insurance provider there is no reason why your illness should stop you travelling and having a splendid holiday experience.


By: Celina Bledowska, writer and journalist.  Celina has written on many topics including, health, politics, social welfare and technology transfer for Fleet Street and other mainstream media outlets