Foreign Office Announces Summer Travel Guidelines

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), a UK government agency controlling interests of the UK overseas, has announced its checklist for UK travellers going abroad on vacations.

Passports and Visa

The authorities have urged travellers to check the validity of their passports and visas, before travelling to foreign countries. A certain amount of validity needs to remain in the passport for travellers to be able to make the journeys.

Travellers to the US will be required to apply for an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA).

Travel Insurance

Travellers have also been warned against proceeding on travel without required travel and medical insurances, as falling sick abroad can turn out to be very expensive.

Earlier, in a survey by Hiscox, a UK-based insurance provider, around 19% of the respondents reported not taking out any travel policy for holidays, or think that they are covered under another policy, such as health etc; or don’t know if they are covered or not.

For travellers to Europe, a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will prove to be handy.

Driving Abroad

Authorities have urged UK travellers to comply with the motor vehicles rules of the other countries where they are going, and keep abreast of the local regulations and documents required to carry in person for driving abroad.

Travellers to France are being made aware that it’s compulsory to carry a warning triangle and a reflective jacket while driving in France, and it is mandatory to carry single use breathalysers in all motorised vehicles as of July 1, 2012.